Skip to main content

The World Needs More Ugly

Happy 2015! The laziest blogger welcomes you into the new year! 

Disclaimer- I've spent most of the past month sitting at my desk watching much 30 Rock and giving up many a sudoku. My contact with the outside world has been sealed at the bare minimum to guarantee utmost freshness. 
I've discovered I'm not very good at Sudoku.

So what's up with airplane bathrooms, anyway? Just kidding. Here's what I'm trying to say: The world needs more ugly! People are always telling you to put your best foot forward, but why can't you show off your real, un-pedicured feet? And when I say ugly, I don't necessarily mean this:


But maybe more like this: 

My signature look. Why am I not on a magazine cover yet?

I think popular culture has adapted beautiful as the new normal and normal as the new ugly. Who rocks braces and sees the issues for what they are? This girl. We don't need to be airbrushed and slimmed down to be beautiful. Here are some reasons why we should unleash the ugly!

Ugliness makes you a multi-dimensional person. When you have a beautiful child, people will always mention it. "He's so handsome."She looks so lovely in that little dress." But when you have an ugly child, people have two options: 1) awkwardly shuffle away, or 2) come up with a real compliment.


When people are pretty, it's very easy to label them as such, making it a huge part of their identity. But beauty should have very little to do with who you are. Beauty isn't something you control. To quote our favorite half-human/half motorcycle, you were born that way. Your parents' genetics spontaneously combusted in a good way (or do things only spontaneously combust in space?).

If you want to be nice to ugly people, you need to dig a little deeper and see them for who they really are. And when you dig deeper, you'll probably find that ugly people are beautiful, but not in the way you expected. Ugliness forces us to focus on what really matters- virtuous attributes, hard work, breakdancing skills.


   
Embracing ugly helps us reduce the need to sexualize everything. I've never really understood the purpose of sex symbols- glorifying people just because they're ridiculously good-looking.


Sexualization is especially prominent in pop music. Mainstream radio artists may be talented, but it seems we're more concerned with their shapely legs or crystalized abs (see exhibits A and B).

With a good voice, you might have a shot at a successful music career. Sex appeal, on the other hand, you will get on the next flight to mindless consumerist music. Every American's dream.

Exhibit A 

Exhibit B

But hot bodies don't guarantee good music (thoroughly consider exhibits A and B). We need more people like Ed Sheeran*- not a 10, but wholly passionate about his art (art?).

When we make beauty a trivial part of the music, we focus on what really is beautiful: the music. This applies not only to music but everything in life.

*I am not endorsing Ed Sheeran,  but merely using him as example to connect with my pop-nurtured audience.**

Ugly is fo' real. You know how people say, "You know God has a sense of humor-just look at us." We're supposed to be funny-looking with weird noses, starfish hands, and awkward hairlines. Our flaws make us unique. Have you heard the saying, "you know God is a plastic surgeon because we all have perfectly sculpted faces and figures?" No, because that's not a thing. Inject that into your cheekbones!

This is when Nicki Minaj was going to rap, but she had some appointment with a Mr. Botulinum Toxin. In her place, I booked Tina Fey. In her fabulous book Bossypants, Tina Fey talks about how she loves her weird-looking cast of 30 Rock:

"I personally like a cast with a lot of different-shaped faces and weird little bodies and a diverse array of weak chins, because it helps me to tell the characters apart. When actors are too good-looking, I can't memorize them...for years the networks have tried to re-create the success of Friends by making pilot after pilot about beautiful twenty-somethings...this template never works, because executives refuse to realize that Friends was the exception, not the rule."

We can't all be Beyonce! If we were all Beyonce, then there would be no Beyonce. And I need a  song that tells me to put things to the left! (As well as a song the properly defines diva.) But we CAN all be our ugly selves, which is cooler. Which is REAL.


Caring about how you look or wanting to be attractive isn't a bad thing. I rock a plum lipstick and a secondhand 80s floral blazer. But we need to STAWP obsessing about how we look. I exhort you to own your ugly because no one is ugly the way you are ugly.


I don't think I can end by telling you're ugly. You're not ready for that. Redemption round: Let's focus on who we are and who we become. Physical beauty isn't the only thing that matters. In fact, it hardly matters!

Embracing our effortless ugliness will help us unleash our true easy, breezy, beautiful.*

* Insert proper citation to avoid copyright infringement if my blog gets famous. 


Comments

  1. Too much New Girl, not enough Tina Fey. CAN'T WAIT TIL YOU VISIT, SISTAH!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage, Tornadoes, Chocolate, and Other Buzzwords

I’m surprised Child Protective Services hasn’t taken custody of my blog yet, given how much I neglect it. But you know what they say, absent parents make for interesting adults. (Wow, that was kind of dark.) Let’s lighten things up. I got married last month! Some of you already know this, but to others, this is breaking news. I think it’s because Facebook didn’t say I was married until a few days ago. And if it’s not on Facebook, it never happened. Existential social media discussions aside, this post is a comprehensive update of my life today. You’ll get the inside scoop on my current whereabouts, my favorite podcasts, desired pastimes–everything you need to know to hack my passwords. I know, I know, that’s what journals are for. But most days I can barely read my own handwriting. And if I want my post-cursive posterity to know me in this Year of the Dog, I must leave an online record. GRANESSABAMA Granessabama is the name of this new chapter in my life and pot

Valentine's Day

Despite having been single for 18 years (official next week exactly), Valentine's Day has always been one of my favorite holidays. Wait, aren't single people supposed to hate V-Day as much as Democrats and Republicans hate each other? FALSE. Let me tell why I love this lovely day of love. In the ongoing arguments of Nature v. Nurture, Nurture wins in this situation. In my family, Valentine's Day has always been a huge deal. It is actually one of my mom's favorite holidays. So, every year, we decorate the dining room, have dinner together, receive gifts and exchange valentine cards. Formal dress is strongly encouraged. So, I mean....I get gifts and chocolate.....an epilogue to Christmas and a prologue to Easter. Why wouldn't I love Valentine's Day? Those are cupcakes in the back. And the style of napkins is called Bishop's Hat.  (p.s. folding napkins is difficult.) There is candy in the napkin. It goes downhill from there....so much chocolate in so

How To Have a Better Spring Break Than Mine

I was looking forward to spring break. Unfortunately, my week-long break was sub-par, comparable to George Bush's phonetic skills or Lindsay Lohan's acting career- not TERRIBLE, but not very good either. And who's fault is that? Mine! (I am pointing to myself.) It was a COMPLETE manifestation of my senioritis . And maybe your break wasn't very good either. Thus, I will give you some tips about how to better enjoy your future spring breaks.  1. Make a Plan. An entire week gives you a TON of time, so don't let it hit you without setting some goals. I say you set three types of goals: academic, social, and personal.                 ACADEMIC: You might have a project due soon; you don't have to finish it over spring break, but you can start researching. Maybe you can finish reading a book or apply for a scholarship.                 SOCIAL: take advantage of this free time and hang out with your friends. You now have entire days rather than just a few ho