Skip to main content

Gift #5: Peace and Promises

It turns out I have no professional pictures from my mission. I promise I wasn't always a fool.


February 16, 2016
Ichinomiya, Japan

I have avoided making promises with God on my mission because I knew I wouldn’t be able to keep them. But I have confidence that I can stay on my mission until July 12. I think I finally understand why they say that covenants bring peace, Being able to promise God [that I would complete my mission] brings me immense peace.

February 2016 was probably one of the hardest months of my mission, the time that I was closest to packing my bags and heading home early. I felt like Will in Stranger Things, constantly singing “Should I Stay or Should I Go”. Evidently, it was hard for me to feel any sense of security or peace.

But when I finally made the decision to complete my mission, peace washed over me. I didn’t know how I would make it through five more months of early mornings, canceled appointments, and shattered hopes, but I didn’t have to know. I only had to know that God knew, and He would help me wade through whatever hellish circumstances awaited me in the coming months.

God has given us the power to choose, and when we choose His ways, He can truly perform miracles in our lives. My miracle was staying on my mission for 18 months. Had I not chosen to make that promise, I may not have been able to weather the following weeks. And had I not stayed, I would have never met people or gained experiences that shaped me into the person I am today.

My mission taught me that as I strive to seek God’s will by keeping commandments making promises, I don’t have to worry about my potential failure. God gives me all the potential I need.

I am grateful for the many opportunities I have to make promises to the Lord and feel the peace that He offers.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage, Tornadoes, Chocolate, and Other Buzzwords

I’m surprised Child Protective Services hasn’t taken custody of my blog yet, given how much I neglect it. But you know what they say, absent parents make for interesting adults. (Wow, that was kind of dark.) Let’s lighten things up. I got married last month! Some of you already know this, but to others, this is breaking news. I think it’s because Facebook didn’t say I was married until a few days ago. And if it’s not on Facebook, it never happened. Existential social media discussions aside, this post is a comprehensive update of my life today. You’ll get the inside scoop on my current whereabouts, my favorite podcasts, desired pastimes–everything you need to know to hack my passwords. I know, I know, that’s what journals are for. But most days I can barely read my own handwriting. And if I want my post-cursive posterity to know me in this Year of the Dog, I must leave an online record. GRANESSABAMA Granessabama is the name of this new chapter in my life and pot

Single's Awareness Day

I just couldn't resist using this picture.  Wasn't Single's Awareness Day celebrated yesterday? Well, technically yes. But, according to Wikipedia, SAD is often celebrated on 13th or 15th as well. I think it is best to celebrate it on a Friday because this day most clearly exposes my singularity...you know, because I'm at home. Alone. Writing a blog. Eating chocolate. Alone. But, my friends, today is a holiday! Let it not go unnoticed because there are many perks to being single. By the end of reading this post, you will throw away your self-pity and relish in your fantastic life and make all your coupled friends feel jealous. 1. He's attractive. And so is he. HIM, too. Because I am single, I can think anyone is attractive and tell the whole world if I want to. If I had a boyfriend, I won't be able to divulge my celebrity crushes without making him feel uncomfortable, jealous, and angry. Let's face it; I don't want to make him feel bad because

Valentine's Day

Despite having been single for 18 years (official next week exactly), Valentine's Day has always been one of my favorite holidays. Wait, aren't single people supposed to hate V-Day as much as Democrats and Republicans hate each other? FALSE. Let me tell why I love this lovely day of love. In the ongoing arguments of Nature v. Nurture, Nurture wins in this situation. In my family, Valentine's Day has always been a huge deal. It is actually one of my mom's favorite holidays. So, every year, we decorate the dining room, have dinner together, receive gifts and exchange valentine cards. Formal dress is strongly encouraged. So, I mean....I get gifts and chocolate.....an epilogue to Christmas and a prologue to Easter. Why wouldn't I love Valentine's Day? Those are cupcakes in the back. And the style of napkins is called Bishop's Hat.  (p.s. folding napkins is difficult.) There is candy in the napkin. It goes downhill from there....so much chocolate in so