Skip to main content

Senioritis: A Very Real Disease

As a freshman, I had heard the word "senioritis". I laughed, shrugging it off as an excuse that seniors use to be lazy and have a very YOLOesque final year of high school. Silly Seniors. It was made-up.

But it is very real. Too real. 

As a junior in high school, I thought I was beginning to see the symptoms of juniorosis. As a fairly hardworking student, I no longer wanted to do any of my school work. When I expressed my worries about this disease to seniors at the time, they reassured me that juniorosis was nothing compared to senioritis.

They were right. 

Some of you may not know exactly what senioritis is, nor the nature of such a disease. Senioritis is a disease in which a senior in high school feels compelled to do no work at all during the last year of high school. This disease does not discriminate: it affects the most studious of students as well as further inhibits the laziest of students. Perhaps the scariest part of this disease is that it takes different forms, affecting and infecting every person differently, making it difficult to cure. So, I shall share with you my ongoing experience with this terrible illness. P.S. Just for the record, I started writing this post a month ago....and I've been putting it off. 




Dress Up to Mess Up
I used to care about clothes. I usually put effort into looking professional, yet chic. However, senioritis has taken over the part of my mind that cared about fashion. It may have even destroyed it. Most days, I usually wear sweatpants and t-shirts (and my awesome highlighter running shoes). In fact, I cannot remember the last time I wore jeans to school. Perhaps a few months ago? I was going to make a before-after photo thing to better illustrate my deteriorating wardrobe, but I really don't feel like it.





Decreased Work Ethic

There is a considerable amount of pictures of me taking naps on Facebook.  This is the extent of my work ethic circa 2012-2013. 

I had a horrific realization at the beginning of the year: I didn't liked any of my classes. It wasn't because any of them were necessarily more difficult, but most of them offered me no educational value. So, because 80% of my classes are jokes, I put in 80% of the work. My grades haven't decreased dramatically (although my 3rd quarter GPA has gone done by 0.16), but I find myself using more Sparknotes, doing less extra credit, and doing anything else but Physics and Gov't projects. (I cannot begin to describe Physics or Government here; that would take several blog posts.)




Acceptance Letter


Seniors, are consistently disenchanted and lazy throughout the year, BUT perhaps their resignation reaches its peak when they receive their college acceptance letter. After I got my letter from BYU, my though process was kind of like this: "I've worked hard for 3.5 years. I got in. Now I officially don't care." My acceptance letter has not only provided me with the ultimate indifference to my current school work, but also gave a good excuse to work on college stuff instead of lowly high school assignments. Read 60 pages of an AP-approved book? I think I'll look at majors instead. Make a poster about a governmental agency? Perhaps I should start planning my schedule for the fall....

The bottom line: Senioritis is real. You can't ignore it or hide or really even cure it. So, just kick back, relax, and let the wave of laziness, indifference, and procrastination wash over you.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage, Tornadoes, Chocolate, and Other Buzzwords

I’m surprised Child Protective Services hasn’t taken custody of my blog yet, given how much I neglect it. But you know what they say, absent parents make for interesting adults. (Wow, that was kind of dark.) Let’s lighten things up. I got married last month! Some of you already know this, but to others, this is breaking news. I think it’s because Facebook didn’t say I was married until a few days ago. And if it’s not on Facebook, it never happened. Existential social media discussions aside, this post is a comprehensive update of my life today. You’ll get the inside scoop on my current whereabouts, my favorite podcasts, desired pastimes–everything you need to know to hack my passwords. I know, I know, that’s what journals are for. But most days I can barely read my own handwriting. And if I want my post-cursive posterity to know me in this Year of the Dog, I must leave an online record. GRANESSABAMA Granessabama is the name of this new chapter in my life and pot...

Single's Awareness Day

I just couldn't resist using this picture.  Wasn't Single's Awareness Day celebrated yesterday? Well, technically yes. But, according to Wikipedia, SAD is often celebrated on 13th or 15th as well. I think it is best to celebrate it on a Friday because this day most clearly exposes my singularity...you know, because I'm at home. Alone. Writing a blog. Eating chocolate. Alone. But, my friends, today is a holiday! Let it not go unnoticed because there are many perks to being single. By the end of reading this post, you will throw away your self-pity and relish in your fantastic life and make all your coupled friends feel jealous. 1. He's attractive. And so is he. HIM, too. Because I am single, I can think anyone is attractive and tell the whole world if I want to. If I had a boyfriend, I won't be able to divulge my celebrity crushes without making him feel uncomfortable, jealous, and angry. Let's face it; I don't want to make him feel bad because ...

My Name is Anessa, I Have a Blog, and I'm Mormon

Last weekend, I was sick. So in between staring at Facebook, doing homework, blowing my nose, and crying during Titanic , I watched A LOT of "I'm a Mormon" videos. (Have no idea what I'm talking about? Scroll to the bottom of the page.) Most of you know that I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, also known as the the Mormon Church. If you didn't, well...I am. Ta-dah! Now, it seems that some people get jittery when the subject of religion comes up. RELAX. I'm not really going to focus on religion in this post, nor will I try to convert you or condemn you. So, relax.  ANYWAYS.  Like all YouTube videos, the "I'm a Mormon" videos receive a plethora of rude, inconsiderate comments. I think many of these comments, though, come from people who don't fully understand the videos and their purpose. Thus, I want to talk about these videos, why they exist, and why I love them.  1. These videos are not trying to...