Skip to main content

Scholarships A.K.A. Evil



Welcome to my first blog post. Perhaps some of you were puzzled by the title. Scholarships are good, right? Free money? WRONG. You have never been more wrong in your entire life. Scholarships are not fun. I will proceed to tell you why. 

1. Let's talk about me. Every scholarship or college application wants you to talk about yourself. It sounds fun at first, but after a while, you wish you had never existed. Are there NO other subjects about which you want to read? I'm tired of telling people what I want to do, who I think I am, why I deserve their money.

2. Get Involved. Then, they ask you about your extracurricular activities. (p.s. the "they" I keep referring to is the general group of people that give out scholarships.) ANYWAYS, It makes sense to ask about your activities, but then they start asking about how many hours a week and how many weeks you participate in an activity. Was I supposed to keep track of that? This would have been great to know THREE YEARS AGO. 


3. There are so many. This is a blessing and a curse. You have a wide selection to choose from, but which one do you choose? I never know which ones I am most likely to get. And I know nothing about my competition.


4. You're never good enough. Okay, that's kind of harsh. But sometimes that's how I feel. I've been denied by two scholarships thus far. I didn't fit their criteria. Now, I thought I was a pretty candidate. I maintained a high GPA throughout high school and I was involved in a variety of activities. But I didn't fit the criteria. WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME? Should I have my philanthropic organization by now? I guess I didn't get the memo. (I actually haven't been getting a lot of memos. Or scholarship money.)


But I guess they are a necessary evil. School costs an arm and a leg and kidney and an ear, and unless you stuff your pillows and comforters with money, you need to find money somewhere. So, because you need them, I'll give you some tips to survive their clutches.

1. Use cappex.com. Make yourself an account, fill out a profile, and they will match you with a BRAZILIAN scholarships

2. Do the local ones. If you are going to do any scholarships, do the ones for your county, city, and township. There is a smaller pool of applicants, so you're more likely to win them. Usually your guidance counselor can hook you up with these. 

3. Go for the specific scholarships. Find scholarships that fit you like a glove, like the one for left-handed brunettes under average height from a family of nine who want to study a language in college. (Not a real scholarship, but you get the point.)

So, good luck! And may the odds be ever in your favor- unless I'm competing for the same one.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage, Tornadoes, Chocolate, and Other Buzzwords

I’m surprised Child Protective Services hasn’t taken custody of my blog yet, given how much I neglect it. But you know what they say, absent parents make for interesting adults. (Wow, that was kind of dark.) Let’s lighten things up. I got married last month! Some of you already know this, but to others, this is breaking news. I think it’s because Facebook didn’t say I was married until a few days ago. And if it’s not on Facebook, it never happened. Existential social media discussions aside, this post is a comprehensive update of my life today. You’ll get the inside scoop on my current whereabouts, my favorite podcasts, desired pastimes–everything you need to know to hack my passwords. I know, I know, that’s what journals are for. But most days I can barely read my own handwriting. And if I want my post-cursive posterity to know me in this Year of the Dog, I must leave an online record. GRANESSABAMA Granessabama is the name of this new chapter in my life and pot

How To Have a Better Spring Break Than Mine

I was looking forward to spring break. Unfortunately, my week-long break was sub-par, comparable to George Bush's phonetic skills or Lindsay Lohan's acting career- not TERRIBLE, but not very good either. And who's fault is that? Mine! (I am pointing to myself.) It was a COMPLETE manifestation of my senioritis . And maybe your break wasn't very good either. Thus, I will give you some tips about how to better enjoy your future spring breaks.  1. Make a Plan. An entire week gives you a TON of time, so don't let it hit you without setting some goals. I say you set three types of goals: academic, social, and personal.                 ACADEMIC: You might have a project due soon; you don't have to finish it over spring break, but you can start researching. Maybe you can finish reading a book or apply for a scholarship.                 SOCIAL: take advantage of this free time and hang out with your friends. You now have entire days rather than just a few ho

Help Wanted

When you think about what it would like to be rich, REALLY rich, you probably think about rolling out in your new Maserati or turning a guest room into a second closet, OR even the fact that you could literally roll around in dollar bills- $100 DOLLAR BILLS. While this is all fine and good and sufficiently over-the-top, what I want the most is an assistant. (Let's face it, you're usually making bank if you have an assistant.) Now, why do I need an assistant? Why do I want one? My reasons shall be revealed.    (Speaking of Maserati,  that's part of the title of one of my sister's songs. Check it out.) https://soundcloud.com/alyce-marie/maserati-body-alyce-marie-ft  1. I'm bad with breakfast. I like eating, I really do. But during the school year, I rarely eat breakfast...or lunch. At night, I'm too tired to prepare a lunch. In the morning, I usually wake up 15 minutes before I leave for school/seminary, so...still no time. I just want an assistant to