Skip to main content

My Name is Anessa, I Have a Blog, and I'm Mormon

Last weekend, I was sick. So in between staring at Facebook, doing homework, blowing my nose, and crying during Titanic, I watched A LOT of "I'm a Mormon" videos. (Have no idea what I'm talking about? Scroll to the bottom of the page.) Most of you know that I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, also known as the the Mormon Church. If you didn't, well...I am. Ta-dah!

Now, it seems that some people get jittery when the subject of religion comes up. RELAX. I'm not really going to focus on religion in this post, nor will I try to convert you or condemn you. So, relax. 

ANYWAYS. 
Like all YouTube videos, the "I'm a Mormon" videos receive a plethora of rude, inconsiderate comments. I think many of these comments, though, come from people who don't fully understand the videos and their purpose. Thus, I want to talk about these videos, why they exist, and why I love them. 

1. These videos are not trying to convert you. The people in these videos are talking about their lives, and there are a handful of videos in which the person doesn't even talk about Mormon doctrine or beliefs. Conversion? We have people for that. They're called missionaries. ;)

2. Mormons of normal people. They are you're neighbors, teachers, doctors, etc. Some people think that such clarifications about Mormons is a bit unnecessary, but I can guarantee you that when some people watched these videos, they asked at least one of the following questions:

Where are all the wives?
Why aren't they dressed like pilgrims?
Mormons live in places other than Utah?
Mormons are allowed to do that?
LDS women can have jobs?
Mormons can watch TV?

We've been around for a decent amount of time, yet people still ask such questions. That's why these videos were created. But I have a question for you? When was the last time you saw a movie in theaters where the main character was Mormon and portrayed as a normal person? I can't think of a movie. I've seen Catholic and Jewish and Atheist protagonists, but no Mormons. Hmm...

3. We're all in this together. As a Mormon, I already know Mormons are normal people. So why do I love these videos? As a member of any other denomination, you probably don't meet the members of your church that live in another state, much less another country. So, it's cool to watch these videos of people from all walks of life from all over the WORLD. They are so different from me, yet we share a common element in our lives: our faith. YouTube commentators were saying things like "No other church is posting videos like these on YouTube"  or "I'm a plumber...and I'm Catholic; cool." I believe Christianity is a social religion, so why not post these videos? It's the 21st century, and we should be taking advantage of the technology we have to share our faiths on an international level. I think it would be awesome to see "I'm a Buddhist" or "I'm a Muslim" videos.

BUT WAIT. THERE'S MORE! This blog post would not be complete if I didn't include some "I'm a Mormon" videos. Here are some of my favorites in no particular order. Enjoy. (Or not; to each his own.)


This woman had cancer when she was 16, and it's back again; still, she is very grateful and optimistic.


Everyone wants him to be a pirate every Halloween because he made himself a peg leg. Awesome.


This lady is awesome. She has a cool perspective on world religions.


Mormon and a Biology Professor. God and Science. Yes, it's possible. 


He's very Italian. I'm pretty sure he refers to Jesus as a "cool dude".


THE END. 





Comments

  1. This is awesome, Anessa. Can't wait to see YOUR vid :) And p.s. I WILL watch them...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage, Tornadoes, Chocolate, and Other Buzzwords

I’m surprised Child Protective Services hasn’t taken custody of my blog yet, given how much I neglect it. But you know what they say, absent parents make for interesting adults. (Wow, that was kind of dark.) Let’s lighten things up. I got married last month! Some of you already know this, but to others, this is breaking news. I think it’s because Facebook didn’t say I was married until a few days ago. And if it’s not on Facebook, it never happened. Existential social media discussions aside, this post is a comprehensive update of my life today. You’ll get the inside scoop on my current whereabouts, my favorite podcasts, desired pastimes–everything you need to know to hack my passwords. I know, I know, that’s what journals are for. But most days I can barely read my own handwriting. And if I want my post-cursive posterity to know me in this Year of the Dog, I must leave an online record. GRANESSABAMA Granessabama is the name of this new chapter in my life and pot

How To Have a Better Spring Break Than Mine

I was looking forward to spring break. Unfortunately, my week-long break was sub-par, comparable to George Bush's phonetic skills or Lindsay Lohan's acting career- not TERRIBLE, but not very good either. And who's fault is that? Mine! (I am pointing to myself.) It was a COMPLETE manifestation of my senioritis . And maybe your break wasn't very good either. Thus, I will give you some tips about how to better enjoy your future spring breaks.  1. Make a Plan. An entire week gives you a TON of time, so don't let it hit you without setting some goals. I say you set three types of goals: academic, social, and personal.                 ACADEMIC: You might have a project due soon; you don't have to finish it over spring break, but you can start researching. Maybe you can finish reading a book or apply for a scholarship.                 SOCIAL: take advantage of this free time and hang out with your friends. You now have entire days rather than just a few ho

Help Wanted

When you think about what it would like to be rich, REALLY rich, you probably think about rolling out in your new Maserati or turning a guest room into a second closet, OR even the fact that you could literally roll around in dollar bills- $100 DOLLAR BILLS. While this is all fine and good and sufficiently over-the-top, what I want the most is an assistant. (Let's face it, you're usually making bank if you have an assistant.) Now, why do I need an assistant? Why do I want one? My reasons shall be revealed.    (Speaking of Maserati,  that's part of the title of one of my sister's songs. Check it out.) https://soundcloud.com/alyce-marie/maserati-body-alyce-marie-ft  1. I'm bad with breakfast. I like eating, I really do. But during the school year, I rarely eat breakfast...or lunch. At night, I'm too tired to prepare a lunch. In the morning, I usually wake up 15 minutes before I leave for school/seminary, so...still no time. I just want an assistant to