Skip to main content

Red, White, and Ew: Why I Am Thankful for being American

Happy Belated Thanksgiving! And Merry Premature Christmas! It is officially the Christmas season (commence Elf  quotes), and I will be home in a week to bask in candy cane glory. But before I pull out Michael Buble's Christmas album, I still want to express my gratitude for America. 


You see, I am not one to blindly assume that the country in which I was born is the best country in the world. But I am also not one to deny truth....perhaps I should be more diplomatic. Every country has its merits! But living in a foreign country truly helps you appreciate your homeland and reminds you not to take your privileges for granted. And you shouldn't take them for granite either. 

So, while last Thursday's stuffing and turkey is merely a drop in the dark abyss of whatever part of my brain holds memory, Thanksgiving is not officially over until you've read the last word of this post. Here are some things that make me proud to be an American:

1. Non-Smoking Areas. After living in Jordan and Argentina, I realized that people smoke like it's their job. In fact, smoking is still quite popular in a large part of the world. And it really is awful. Because not only is smoking bad for you, but is bad for everyone around you. 

Pure Artwork
Honestly, I used to think "secondhand smoke" was something the government made up- like landing on the moon or Canada. But oh ho ho, it's real. And thanks to Ohio's (and other states) ban on smoking in public places, children nor old people nor Anessa have to deal with its effects. Best piece of legislation since women's suffrage. (Insert feminism here). I am glad to live in a country that has made efforts and has had some success in combatting cigarette use. Please watch this anti-smoking propaganda and share it with your wayward hipster siblings: 


2. Unlimited water. Take a look at this map of Jordan: 


What do you see? Water, right? WRONG. Dead and Red Sea are pure salt, and Israel takes most of the water from the Jordan River for itself (classic Israel). Thus water is very limited in Jordan, and my apartment of 7 girls gets about 530 gallons of water a week. That seems like a lot until you take into consideration that the average American uses 80-100 gallons of water every day. 


Now, I know that I probably waste a lot of water as an American, but I am grateful for it! I love leaving the kitchen faucet running when I'm doing the dishes and I LOVE taking long, glorious hot showers. So, the next time you take a relaxing bath, sing "America, the Beautiful". From sea to shining sea...

3. Mexican food.  This isn't a joke. I love America for its Mexican food. Let me put this in perspective. There are no Mexican restaurants in Jordan, nor are there any Mexican restaurants in Argentina. (Contrary to popular belief, tacos aren't the only thing eaten south of the American border.) 

Let me put that perspective under a microscope: NO TACOS, NO BURRITOS, AND NO TAMALES. AMERICA! I can think of at least 5 Mexican food establishments within a 20 minute drive of my in-the-middle-of-nowhere house in Ohio. Thus, the first thing I'll do when I get home is greet my family  eat Mexican food. 

4. Women's Rights. While the United States is still struggling to fully represent women in the public sphere, we have still come a long way as far as women's rights go. In Jordan, rape charges can be dropped against a man if he marries the victim, and there are still ideas that sexual harassment is the woman's fault for not covering up. And in Saudi Arabia, men are trying to protect women's precious ovaries by forbidding them to drive cars. (So thoughtful.) 
Tina Fey is American. Hoorah!

Now, there are people in America that still hold some odd ideas about women, but there are thousands of Upworthy articles and socially-aware male bloggers to remind you of feminism. I am proud to be an American woman, and I will have my cake and it too and not feel guilty thereafter because that is true feminism.

5. Freedom of Religion. I underestimated the magnitude of this freedom, but I grew to appreciate this right in its fullness while in Jordan. I didn't realize how important my faith was to me unless I wasn't allowed to talk about it. Correction: I am allowed to talk about my religion but I know that some...members of a particular religious group..would get upset, potentially uprooting the presence of the Mormon church in the country altogether. I am thankful for the right to share my religion, change my religion, or even chose to not have it.
Future Anessa featured on the left..or even the right. Kind of a rock and hard place. 

So, there is my bit on gratitude on America, and in a week, I'll be back to complaining about Ohio winters and ingorant politicians.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage, Tornadoes, Chocolate, and Other Buzzwords

I’m surprised Child Protective Services hasn’t taken custody of my blog yet, given how much I neglect it. But you know what they say, absent parents make for interesting adults. (Wow, that was kind of dark.) Let’s lighten things up. I got married last month! Some of you already know this, but to others, this is breaking news. I think it’s because Facebook didn’t say I was married until a few days ago. And if it’s not on Facebook, it never happened. Existential social media discussions aside, this post is a comprehensive update of my life today. You’ll get the inside scoop on my current whereabouts, my favorite podcasts, desired pastimes–everything you need to know to hack my passwords. I know, I know, that’s what journals are for. But most days I can barely read my own handwriting. And if I want my post-cursive posterity to know me in this Year of the Dog, I must leave an online record. GRANESSABAMA Granessabama is the name of this new chapter in my life and pot

How To Have a Better Spring Break Than Mine

I was looking forward to spring break. Unfortunately, my week-long break was sub-par, comparable to George Bush's phonetic skills or Lindsay Lohan's acting career- not TERRIBLE, but not very good either. And who's fault is that? Mine! (I am pointing to myself.) It was a COMPLETE manifestation of my senioritis . And maybe your break wasn't very good either. Thus, I will give you some tips about how to better enjoy your future spring breaks.  1. Make a Plan. An entire week gives you a TON of time, so don't let it hit you without setting some goals. I say you set three types of goals: academic, social, and personal.                 ACADEMIC: You might have a project due soon; you don't have to finish it over spring break, but you can start researching. Maybe you can finish reading a book or apply for a scholarship.                 SOCIAL: take advantage of this free time and hang out with your friends. You now have entire days rather than just a few ho

Help Wanted

When you think about what it would like to be rich, REALLY rich, you probably think about rolling out in your new Maserati or turning a guest room into a second closet, OR even the fact that you could literally roll around in dollar bills- $100 DOLLAR BILLS. While this is all fine and good and sufficiently over-the-top, what I want the most is an assistant. (Let's face it, you're usually making bank if you have an assistant.) Now, why do I need an assistant? Why do I want one? My reasons shall be revealed.    (Speaking of Maserati,  that's part of the title of one of my sister's songs. Check it out.) https://soundcloud.com/alyce-marie/maserati-body-alyce-marie-ft  1. I'm bad with breakfast. I like eating, I really do. But during the school year, I rarely eat breakfast...or lunch. At night, I'm too tired to prepare a lunch. In the morning, I usually wake up 15 minutes before I leave for school/seminary, so...still no time. I just want an assistant to