Skip to main content

Senioritis: A Very Real Disease

As a freshman, I had heard the word "senioritis". I laughed, shrugging it off as an excuse that seniors use to be lazy and have a very YOLOesque final year of high school. Silly Seniors. It was made-up.

But it is very real. Too real. 

As a junior in high school, I thought I was beginning to see the symptoms of juniorosis. As a fairly hardworking student, I no longer wanted to do any of my school work. When I expressed my worries about this disease to seniors at the time, they reassured me that juniorosis was nothing compared to senioritis.

They were right. 

Some of you may not know exactly what senioritis is, nor the nature of such a disease. Senioritis is a disease in which a senior in high school feels compelled to do no work at all during the last year of high school. This disease does not discriminate: it affects the most studious of students as well as further inhibits the laziest of students. Perhaps the scariest part of this disease is that it takes different forms, affecting and infecting every person differently, making it difficult to cure. So, I shall share with you my ongoing experience with this terrible illness. P.S. Just for the record, I started writing this post a month ago....and I've been putting it off. 




Dress Up to Mess Up
I used to care about clothes. I usually put effort into looking professional, yet chic. However, senioritis has taken over the part of my mind that cared about fashion. It may have even destroyed it. Most days, I usually wear sweatpants and t-shirts (and my awesome highlighter running shoes). In fact, I cannot remember the last time I wore jeans to school. Perhaps a few months ago? I was going to make a before-after photo thing to better illustrate my deteriorating wardrobe, but I really don't feel like it.





Decreased Work Ethic

There is a considerable amount of pictures of me taking naps on Facebook.  This is the extent of my work ethic circa 2012-2013. 

I had a horrific realization at the beginning of the year: I didn't liked any of my classes. It wasn't because any of them were necessarily more difficult, but most of them offered me no educational value. So, because 80% of my classes are jokes, I put in 80% of the work. My grades haven't decreased dramatically (although my 3rd quarter GPA has gone done by 0.16), but I find myself using more Sparknotes, doing less extra credit, and doing anything else but Physics and Gov't projects. (I cannot begin to describe Physics or Government here; that would take several blog posts.)




Acceptance Letter


Seniors, are consistently disenchanted and lazy throughout the year, BUT perhaps their resignation reaches its peak when they receive their college acceptance letter. After I got my letter from BYU, my though process was kind of like this: "I've worked hard for 3.5 years. I got in. Now I officially don't care." My acceptance letter has not only provided me with the ultimate indifference to my current school work, but also gave a good excuse to work on college stuff instead of lowly high school assignments. Read 60 pages of an AP-approved book? I think I'll look at majors instead. Make a poster about a governmental agency? Perhaps I should start planning my schedule for the fall....

The bottom line: Senioritis is real. You can't ignore it or hide or really even cure it. So, just kick back, relax, and let the wave of laziness, indifference, and procrastination wash over you.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage, Tornadoes, Chocolate, and Other Buzzwords

I’m surprised Child Protective Services hasn’t taken custody of my blog yet, given how much I neglect it. But you know what they say, absent parents make for interesting adults. (Wow, that was kind of dark.) Let’s lighten things up. I got married last month! Some of you already know this, but to others, this is breaking news. I think it’s because Facebook didn’t say I was married until a few days ago. And if it’s not on Facebook, it never happened. Existential social media discussions aside, this post is a comprehensive update of my life today. You’ll get the inside scoop on my current whereabouts, my favorite podcasts, desired pastimes–everything you need to know to hack my passwords. I know, I know, that’s what journals are for. But most days I can barely read my own handwriting. And if I want my post-cursive posterity to know me in this Year of the Dog, I must leave an online record. GRANESSABAMA Granessabama is the name of this new chapter in my life and pot

How To Have a Better Spring Break Than Mine

I was looking forward to spring break. Unfortunately, my week-long break was sub-par, comparable to George Bush's phonetic skills or Lindsay Lohan's acting career- not TERRIBLE, but not very good either. And who's fault is that? Mine! (I am pointing to myself.) It was a COMPLETE manifestation of my senioritis . And maybe your break wasn't very good either. Thus, I will give you some tips about how to better enjoy your future spring breaks.  1. Make a Plan. An entire week gives you a TON of time, so don't let it hit you without setting some goals. I say you set three types of goals: academic, social, and personal.                 ACADEMIC: You might have a project due soon; you don't have to finish it over spring break, but you can start researching. Maybe you can finish reading a book or apply for a scholarship.                 SOCIAL: take advantage of this free time and hang out with your friends. You now have entire days rather than just a few ho

Valentine's Day

Despite having been single for 18 years (official next week exactly), Valentine's Day has always been one of my favorite holidays. Wait, aren't single people supposed to hate V-Day as much as Democrats and Republicans hate each other? FALSE. Let me tell why I love this lovely day of love. In the ongoing arguments of Nature v. Nurture, Nurture wins in this situation. In my family, Valentine's Day has always been a huge deal. It is actually one of my mom's favorite holidays. So, every year, we decorate the dining room, have dinner together, receive gifts and exchange valentine cards. Formal dress is strongly encouraged. So, I mean....I get gifts and chocolate.....an epilogue to Christmas and a prologue to Easter. Why wouldn't I love Valentine's Day? Those are cupcakes in the back. And the style of napkins is called Bishop's Hat.  (p.s. folding napkins is difficult.) There is candy in the napkin. It goes downhill from there....so much chocolate in so