Skip to main content

The First and The Last: A Survey of the State of Delaware


"Aaah, our first state of Delaware. Established December 7, 1787. What a great place. We should go there."
George Washington crossing the Delaware River, though he might not actually be in the state of Delaware. 

Said no one ever.  


Let's be real: people don't say this because 1)they don't when any of the states were established and 2)no one knows anything about Delaware. Delaware is one of those states you don't really hear anything about, like Connecticut or Wyoming. It is the red-headed stepchild of America. I am also suprised to say that I have lived in Delaware for three months. This is the last place I would expect to spend a summer. I mean, I know I do a lot of random things, but THIS- this takes the cake. (Takes the cake...where does that even come from?)

Well, get ready to be EDUMACATED. I have compiled a list of questions AND ANSWERS one might ask about Delaware ( completely hypothetical). Because let's face it- you could be kidnapped and wake up in the trunk, only to discover that the kidnapper spared you your life and dumped you in the only WAL-MART parking lot in the entire state of Delaware. Your family has to drive about 8 hours to pick you up, so you might as well do something to occupy time....it could happen. 

Where is Delaware?
I read your mind. You don't really know where it is. You probably envisioned a blurry chunk of tiny states brushing up again the Atlantic Ocean. So, here's a map: 



What does one do in Delaware? 
Great Question! Nothing. But that's the beauty of it! Delaware is so small and so close to so many other states and cities, it mooches off of all them for things to do. The beaches, NYC, DC- all only 2 hours away. Philidelphia? 30 minutes. Baltimore? 1 hour. Isn't that awesome? People come here....to go elsewhere. Kind of like an airport! 

What is the weather like in the summer?
HOT HOT HOT and HUMID. It's actually one of Satan's favorite vacation spots (next to Amsterdam and Las Vegas) because it reminds him a lot of home....yes, THAT home. It's an interesting experience. It's so humid it feels like you're swimming...but then you open your eyes, and you're really just walking. (Is this what it feels like to be on drugs.....)


What are the natives like?
Well, they wouldn't know quality customer service if it slapped them in the face and asked for its money back, but they are definitely fashionistas, always sporting the latest trends. 


photo credit: Trenton Hayes Carter



Where does one go to get good food?
Okay, time to be serious. There are few really good dives in Delaware, but El Diablo Burrito is AMAZING. It's so good that even the Californian in front of us in line approved of it. It's kind of like Chipotle- no, it's A LOT like Chipotle. Yummy food, cool workers, and they essentially play all of the music on my Spotify. 


What is the most important thing one should know about Delaware? 
Okay, time to be serious a second time. NO. SALES. TAX. Not that I keep a written budget, but if I DID- you would probably see a 600% increase in the money I spend at that mall. I know it is only a 6 or 7% discount, but that's better than a 0% discount! There is something great about reading the price tag, and not having to do the math to see how much you are spending. If you're going to have money to blow, you might as well be in Delaware. Also, did I mention that TARGET is part of the mall? These people understand!



So, there you have it. Delaware- the first place on the map, but the last place on your  mind. At least now you know why. ;) 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage, Tornadoes, Chocolate, and Other Buzzwords

I’m surprised Child Protective Services hasn’t taken custody of my blog yet, given how much I neglect it. But you know what they say, absent parents make for interesting adults. (Wow, that was kind of dark.) Let’s lighten things up. I got married last month! Some of you already know this, but to others, this is breaking news. I think it’s because Facebook didn’t say I was married until a few days ago. And if it’s not on Facebook, it never happened. Existential social media discussions aside, this post is a comprehensive update of my life today. You’ll get the inside scoop on my current whereabouts, my favorite podcasts, desired pastimes–everything you need to know to hack my passwords. I know, I know, that’s what journals are for. But most days I can barely read my own handwriting. And if I want my post-cursive posterity to know me in this Year of the Dog, I must leave an online record. GRANESSABAMA Granessabama is the name of this new chapter in my life and pot

How To Have a Better Spring Break Than Mine

I was looking forward to spring break. Unfortunately, my week-long break was sub-par, comparable to George Bush's phonetic skills or Lindsay Lohan's acting career- not TERRIBLE, but not very good either. And who's fault is that? Mine! (I am pointing to myself.) It was a COMPLETE manifestation of my senioritis . And maybe your break wasn't very good either. Thus, I will give you some tips about how to better enjoy your future spring breaks.  1. Make a Plan. An entire week gives you a TON of time, so don't let it hit you without setting some goals. I say you set three types of goals: academic, social, and personal.                 ACADEMIC: You might have a project due soon; you don't have to finish it over spring break, but you can start researching. Maybe you can finish reading a book or apply for a scholarship.                 SOCIAL: take advantage of this free time and hang out with your friends. You now have entire days rather than just a few ho

Help Wanted

When you think about what it would like to be rich, REALLY rich, you probably think about rolling out in your new Maserati or turning a guest room into a second closet, OR even the fact that you could literally roll around in dollar bills- $100 DOLLAR BILLS. While this is all fine and good and sufficiently over-the-top, what I want the most is an assistant. (Let's face it, you're usually making bank if you have an assistant.) Now, why do I need an assistant? Why do I want one? My reasons shall be revealed.    (Speaking of Maserati,  that's part of the title of one of my sister's songs. Check it out.) https://soundcloud.com/alyce-marie/maserati-body-alyce-marie-ft  1. I'm bad with breakfast. I like eating, I really do. But during the school year, I rarely eat breakfast...or lunch. At night, I'm too tired to prepare a lunch. In the morning, I usually wake up 15 minutes before I leave for school/seminary, so...still no time. I just want an assistant to