Skip to main content

Gift #3: Seeing the Sacrament

Happy Sunday! I know you’re excited to tear into this blog post like it’s covered in OneDirection wrapping paper. Before you do that, let’s define some jargon for my non-Mormon/non-Judeo-Christian audience.

Sacrament
Every week, members partake of bread and water that symbolizes the body and blood of Jesus Christ. Taking the sacrament is an awesome weekly opportunity for members to ponder Christ’s sacrifice for us. We can view our sins, repent, and commit to do and be better next week.
Even if I can’t attend all of my Sunday church meetings, I make an extra effort to take the sacrament. The whole ordinance is no more than 10 or 15 minutes, but I feel the closest to God during that time. If you’re not Mormon, you can check out a local LDS meetinghouse and attend the meeting for yourself.

Atonement
You probably know that Jesus Christ died on a cross. This is part of what Mormons call the Atonement. Through Christ’s suffering in the Garden of Gethsemane and death on the cross at Calvary, Christ allowed us to overcome the effects of sin and death so that we could be “at one” with God. At one….atone...I hope we’re making some connections here.

February 25, 2016
Ichinomiya, Japan

I think another element of symbolism of the sacrament is how we sip some water and eat a single tiny piece of bread. Christ doesn’t ask us to eat the entire loaf of bread any more than He asks us to remember and ponder every pain of the Atonement. Remember that single drop of blood shed. Pick one thing to improve on this week- it is truly through the small and simple things that great things come to pass, yea, even a paper cup of water and a piece of bread.

Missionaries don’t get a lot of breaks. We had Preparation Day on Monday, affectionately called P-Day. But P-Day looked like this: get up at 6:30, work out, study for two hours, clean the apartment, buy groceries, eat, email family...I’m tired just explaining.

I think the real preparation day took place on Sunday when I took the sacrament. The sacrament was the one time a week where I didn’t have to care about anyone or anything else. It was me, the Lord, and some bread and water. I couldn’t wait to take the sacrament each week; I felt like a kid on Christmas (unless that kid was Paige, who once cried because she was tired of opening gifts).

My mission gave me eyes to see the sacrament not as a time where I twiddled my thumbs and had to be quiet, but as I time where I could silence the world and commune with Jesus Christ.

Christmas doesn’t come once a year; it comes every week.

If you want to learn more about the Latter-day Saint perspective on the sacrament or the atonement, check out these links:
Sacrament

Atonement
https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/brad-wilcox_his-grace-is-sufficient/  ONE OF MY FAVORITES (Who am I kidding? They’re all my favorite.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage, Tornadoes, Chocolate, and Other Buzzwords

I’m surprised Child Protective Services hasn’t taken custody of my blog yet, given how much I neglect it. But you know what they say, absent parents make for interesting adults. (Wow, that was kind of dark.) Let’s lighten things up. I got married last month! Some of you already know this, but to others, this is breaking news. I think it’s because Facebook didn’t say I was married until a few days ago. And if it’s not on Facebook, it never happened. Existential social media discussions aside, this post is a comprehensive update of my life today. You’ll get the inside scoop on my current whereabouts, my favorite podcasts, desired pastimes–everything you need to know to hack my passwords. I know, I know, that’s what journals are for. But most days I can barely read my own handwriting. And if I want my post-cursive posterity to know me in this Year of the Dog, I must leave an online record. GRANESSABAMA Granessabama is the name of this new chapter in my life and pot

Valentine's Day

Despite having been single for 18 years (official next week exactly), Valentine's Day has always been one of my favorite holidays. Wait, aren't single people supposed to hate V-Day as much as Democrats and Republicans hate each other? FALSE. Let me tell why I love this lovely day of love. In the ongoing arguments of Nature v. Nurture, Nurture wins in this situation. In my family, Valentine's Day has always been a huge deal. It is actually one of my mom's favorite holidays. So, every year, we decorate the dining room, have dinner together, receive gifts and exchange valentine cards. Formal dress is strongly encouraged. So, I mean....I get gifts and chocolate.....an epilogue to Christmas and a prologue to Easter. Why wouldn't I love Valentine's Day? Those are cupcakes in the back. And the style of napkins is called Bishop's Hat.  (p.s. folding napkins is difficult.) There is candy in the napkin. It goes downhill from there....so much chocolate in so

How To Have a Better Spring Break Than Mine

I was looking forward to spring break. Unfortunately, my week-long break was sub-par, comparable to George Bush's phonetic skills or Lindsay Lohan's acting career- not TERRIBLE, but not very good either. And who's fault is that? Mine! (I am pointing to myself.) It was a COMPLETE manifestation of my senioritis . And maybe your break wasn't very good either. Thus, I will give you some tips about how to better enjoy your future spring breaks.  1. Make a Plan. An entire week gives you a TON of time, so don't let it hit you without setting some goals. I say you set three types of goals: academic, social, and personal.                 ACADEMIC: You might have a project due soon; you don't have to finish it over spring break, but you can start researching. Maybe you can finish reading a book or apply for a scholarship.                 SOCIAL: take advantage of this free time and hang out with your friends. You now have entire days rather than just a few ho