Skip to main content

Gift #2: To Change and Be Changed


Welcome back! Let's celebrate your reading of this blog post with a photograph that exhibits some of my finer qualities. 


Today’s journal entry comes from one of the last days of my mission. I might have even written this on the flight back to America.

July 12, 2017
Airspace, Earth

“On Sunday, I had to prepare my final talk in Fuji [Yes, THAT Fuji]. Yea, my last day as a missionary, I learned one of the most important lessons of my mission. I’ve been upset that I went to and left Gokiso [one of my past areas] w/o doing much, but I realized that I wasn’t called to Japan to change Japan—to break societal norms & flood areas w/investigators. Rather, I was called to Japan for Japan to change me...That thought touched my heart profoundly. The Lord needed me on His side, He needed me to change, so He sent me to Nagoya.”

I believe in being a force for positive change. On my mission, I wanted to change Japan and I wanted to witness all those changes. (They don’t call me Ambitious Anessa for nothing...maybe because they don’t call me that.) I didn’t see the change I wanted. Why? Because I can’t control what other people do. I can’t even control the weather...like Pudge.


But while I may not always be able to evoke change around me, I can allow myself to be changed.

My last Sunday in Japan

Missions are rough. Reading through my mission journal to find the gifts has been really hard. I wade through a lot of fear, misery, and self-loathing begat by my own pen. I could have left my mission bitter and resentful for the painful experiences I had to endure. Instead, I like to think I came out humbler and more empathetic. My mission gifted me a changed heart and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage, Tornadoes, Chocolate, and Other Buzzwords

I’m surprised Child Protective Services hasn’t taken custody of my blog yet, given how much I neglect it. But you know what they say, absent parents make for interesting adults. (Wow, that was kind of dark.) Let’s lighten things up. I got married last month! Some of you already know this, but to others, this is breaking news. I think it’s because Facebook didn’t say I was married until a few days ago. And if it’s not on Facebook, it never happened. Existential social media discussions aside, this post is a comprehensive update of my life today. You’ll get the inside scoop on my current whereabouts, my favorite podcasts, desired pastimes–everything you need to know to hack my passwords. I know, I know, that’s what journals are for. But most days I can barely read my own handwriting. And if I want my post-cursive posterity to know me in this Year of the Dog, I must leave an online record. GRANESSABAMA Granessabama is the name of this new chapter in my life and pot...

Single's Awareness Day

I just couldn't resist using this picture.  Wasn't Single's Awareness Day celebrated yesterday? Well, technically yes. But, according to Wikipedia, SAD is often celebrated on 13th or 15th as well. I think it is best to celebrate it on a Friday because this day most clearly exposes my singularity...you know, because I'm at home. Alone. Writing a blog. Eating chocolate. Alone. But, my friends, today is a holiday! Let it not go unnoticed because there are many perks to being single. By the end of reading this post, you will throw away your self-pity and relish in your fantastic life and make all your coupled friends feel jealous. 1. He's attractive. And so is he. HIM, too. Because I am single, I can think anyone is attractive and tell the whole world if I want to. If I had a boyfriend, I won't be able to divulge my celebrity crushes without making him feel uncomfortable, jealous, and angry. Let's face it; I don't want to make him feel bad because ...

My Name is Anessa, I Have a Blog, and I'm Mormon

Last weekend, I was sick. So in between staring at Facebook, doing homework, blowing my nose, and crying during Titanic , I watched A LOT of "I'm a Mormon" videos. (Have no idea what I'm talking about? Scroll to the bottom of the page.) Most of you know that I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, also known as the the Mormon Church. If you didn't, well...I am. Ta-dah! Now, it seems that some people get jittery when the subject of religion comes up. RELAX. I'm not really going to focus on religion in this post, nor will I try to convert you or condemn you. So, relax.  ANYWAYS.  Like all YouTube videos, the "I'm a Mormon" videos receive a plethora of rude, inconsiderate comments. I think many of these comments, though, come from people who don't fully understand the videos and their purpose. Thus, I want to talk about these videos, why they exist, and why I love them.  1. These videos are not trying to...