Skip to main content

Channeling Charleston: Day #1

For the next week or so, my blog will become something like a travel blog. "Channeling Charleston" will provide you with information on everything Charleston: food, weather, people, culture, and attractions. (You're welcome.) So I should probably tell you why I am in Charleston (because you're interested, since this is probably the best reading selection on the internet).

It all started February 21, 2013. I happened to be turning eighteen that day and was delighted to open my gift: a trip to anywhere in the continental US (Alaska and Hawaii off the table). SO, that meant that I had to choose ONE city that I wanted to go to. Easier said than done.

So I went to this website for guidance. It lists the top 35 cities in the United States, including Seattle,WA and Charleston,SC. I really wanted to go to Seattle, but I decided on Charleston for several reasons. One, my sister and her boyfriend happen to live in this city. Secondly, it's just a cool city with great food. SO, this is why I am here.

CONFESSION: Day #1 was yesterday. I was too lazy to write one yesterday, so I'll write two posts today. (This plan seems somewhat flawed.)

I am trying to remember what I did yesterday; you would a youngster like I would have a better memory. Well, first, I'll show you a map, because Americans are sorely undereducated in geography.

South Carolina
Bottom Right


Before I left for Charleston I made a list of all the places I wanted to see and the restaurant in which I wanted to eat. The problem, however, was that I didn't have a map to best coordinate and create my itinerary. So I walked to the visitor's center and collected several maps, including the official 2013 Tour Guide of Charleston. Because Imma a nerd and this is how I roll. Sooo...yeah, I'm just going to show you some pictures. 


I get stuff made. Just saying.



^ This is honeysuckle and it be ERWHERE. My sisters says it smells like honey (go figure), vanilla, and orange. Because of my allergies, I can't really smell anything. UPSIDE: my allergies are a lot better in Charleston. 



Probably the best reason, or the most logical reason, to travel would be to EAT. I went to this bakery, expecting something sweet, but I left with something heavenly. Nutella Raspberry Turnover. If you ever find yourself in Charleston, track down this place. You won't be disappointed.




Because my sister has a small (though very nice) apartment, I decided to stay in a nearby hostel (a traveler's hotel) for $26 a night. BAM. Smart and Financially-Savvy. I haven't really spent much time there so far, so a more in-depth description will come later. HOWEVER, I do know that it is located in the straight-up GHETTO. Not like Detroit, but nonetheless ghetto. That's fun.


SO GHETTO that they can't spell. They spell crack like they be smokin' it!


Like I said, FOOD. This place is in Mt. Pleasant, a 5 minute drive from Charleston. We went here for $3 burger night. IT WAS DELICIOUS. 

 
That GOOD. Bacon, Carmelized Onions, Pepper Jack, BBQ Ranch w/a side of potato salad. Forget the milkshake, this BURGER brings all the boys to the yard. 


At this point I'll usually make cultural observations of some sort, but this is really long as it was an introductory post. So, I am going to get my ukulele and go play Disney songs in the park. I'M OUT.













Comments

  1. Anessa, we need to make your blog famous. :) (yeah, I KNOW I'm your mom, but still... it's really good.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage, Tornadoes, Chocolate, and Other Buzzwords

I’m surprised Child Protective Services hasn’t taken custody of my blog yet, given how much I neglect it. But you know what they say, absent parents make for interesting adults. (Wow, that was kind of dark.) Let’s lighten things up. I got married last month! Some of you already know this, but to others, this is breaking news. I think it’s because Facebook didn’t say I was married until a few days ago. And if it’s not on Facebook, it never happened. Existential social media discussions aside, this post is a comprehensive update of my life today. You’ll get the inside scoop on my current whereabouts, my favorite podcasts, desired pastimes–everything you need to know to hack my passwords. I know, I know, that’s what journals are for. But most days I can barely read my own handwriting. And if I want my post-cursive posterity to know me in this Year of the Dog, I must leave an online record. GRANESSABAMA Granessabama is the name of this new chapter in my life and pot

How To Have a Better Spring Break Than Mine

I was looking forward to spring break. Unfortunately, my week-long break was sub-par, comparable to George Bush's phonetic skills or Lindsay Lohan's acting career- not TERRIBLE, but not very good either. And who's fault is that? Mine! (I am pointing to myself.) It was a COMPLETE manifestation of my senioritis . And maybe your break wasn't very good either. Thus, I will give you some tips about how to better enjoy your future spring breaks.  1. Make a Plan. An entire week gives you a TON of time, so don't let it hit you without setting some goals. I say you set three types of goals: academic, social, and personal.                 ACADEMIC: You might have a project due soon; you don't have to finish it over spring break, but you can start researching. Maybe you can finish reading a book or apply for a scholarship.                 SOCIAL: take advantage of this free time and hang out with your friends. You now have entire days rather than just a few ho

Help Wanted

When you think about what it would like to be rich, REALLY rich, you probably think about rolling out in your new Maserati or turning a guest room into a second closet, OR even the fact that you could literally roll around in dollar bills- $100 DOLLAR BILLS. While this is all fine and good and sufficiently over-the-top, what I want the most is an assistant. (Let's face it, you're usually making bank if you have an assistant.) Now, why do I need an assistant? Why do I want one? My reasons shall be revealed.    (Speaking of Maserati,  that's part of the title of one of my sister's songs. Check it out.) https://soundcloud.com/alyce-marie/maserati-body-alyce-marie-ft  1. I'm bad with breakfast. I like eating, I really do. But during the school year, I rarely eat breakfast...or lunch. At night, I'm too tired to prepare a lunch. In the morning, I usually wake up 15 minutes before I leave for school/seminary, so...still no time. I just want an assistant to