Skip to main content

Channeling Charleston Day #7: BEACH BURNS


 Today was Beach Day. To be honest, I am actually not a big fan of the beach. *GASP*.  But since I'm here in Charleston, in South Carolina, I should go at least once. Andria did make a good point, though, that beaches really don't have any allergens. If you didn't know before, my spring allergies are TERRIBLE, so this was something to celebrate.

Andria, Darren, and I went to Folly Beach, a 20-minute drive from downtown. Folly Beach is more of a party beach than a family beach and it was PACKED. It was Memorial Day, so I shouldn't be so shocked.

It looks like the sun, but it's my finger.


We were on the less busy half of the beach.


I probably should have taken more detailed pictures of the beach. But, I'm not really a beach aficionado, so I didn't really know what type of pictures to take. The waves, maybe? 
So, I  was laying on the beach with book in hand for an hour. Now, if there is anything I have learned from Summer Reading, it is that you should never read in the sun. You get the strangest tan line, or in my sake, burn line.
I reflected upon my burns later that day. HOLY RANDOM. First, I looked at my legs, a good crimson color that only covered half of my legs. There is literally a line going straight down each leg. Before laying out, I tried to put apply sunscreen, but it really only worked at the point of contact. So, there are random splotches of white throughout the red. Then there is the ever-present gladiator sandal tan that looks like an imprint of ribs on my feet.
The skin on my legs was literally radiating heat. However, you're probably better off wearing long pants for the rest of the time. If you have to walk around like me, you want to limit the amount of contact your legs have with the sun. You may get a little warm, but you're legs won't be on FIRE. 
After spending several hours at the beach, we made our way over to Wich Doctor, a restaurant in Folly Beach.
 

The guy who owns this place trained under this super famous Korean chef in Charleston. He makes quality American food with some ethnic elements. I ordered Chicken and Waffles, a popular flavor trend of 2013. 


As weird as it sounds, it was actually pretty dang good. I can still taste it. It was so different. It wasn't just chicken and waffles, it had a maple mustard and a sweet coleslaw. This actually only used to be a special on the Wich Doctor menu, but it was so popular that it became a regular. If you ever have a chance to try this flavor combination, I dare you. You won't regret it.

Charleston has many places to satisfy a sweet tooth. So later that day I headed over to Kaminsky's Baking Co. Most bakeries are open early and close early in the afternoon. Kaminsky's, on the other had, opens in the afternoon and is closes late. So around 8 at night, I found myself here for a slice of heaven. Everything looked crazy-good. There were cheesecakes and pies and two-layer cakes and THREE-layer cakes. I probably stood there for 15 minutes trying to pick something. (I am very indecisive about desserts.) So after much rationalizing and weighing of options, I chose this:


SNICKERDOODLE CAKE. It was yummy. Even though Kaminsky's service ranges from sucky to average, their desserts won't disappoint.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage, Tornadoes, Chocolate, and Other Buzzwords

I’m surprised Child Protective Services hasn’t taken custody of my blog yet, given how much I neglect it. But you know what they say, absent parents make for interesting adults. (Wow, that was kind of dark.) Let’s lighten things up. I got married last month! Some of you already know this, but to others, this is breaking news. I think it’s because Facebook didn’t say I was married until a few days ago. And if it’s not on Facebook, it never happened. Existential social media discussions aside, this post is a comprehensive update of my life today. You’ll get the inside scoop on my current whereabouts, my favorite podcasts, desired pastimes–everything you need to know to hack my passwords. I know, I know, that’s what journals are for. But most days I can barely read my own handwriting. And if I want my post-cursive posterity to know me in this Year of the Dog, I must leave an online record. GRANESSABAMA Granessabama is the name of this new chapter in my life and pot

How To Have a Better Spring Break Than Mine

I was looking forward to spring break. Unfortunately, my week-long break was sub-par, comparable to George Bush's phonetic skills or Lindsay Lohan's acting career- not TERRIBLE, but not very good either. And who's fault is that? Mine! (I am pointing to myself.) It was a COMPLETE manifestation of my senioritis . And maybe your break wasn't very good either. Thus, I will give you some tips about how to better enjoy your future spring breaks.  1. Make a Plan. An entire week gives you a TON of time, so don't let it hit you without setting some goals. I say you set three types of goals: academic, social, and personal.                 ACADEMIC: You might have a project due soon; you don't have to finish it over spring break, but you can start researching. Maybe you can finish reading a book or apply for a scholarship.                 SOCIAL: take advantage of this free time and hang out with your friends. You now have entire days rather than just a few ho

Help Wanted

When you think about what it would like to be rich, REALLY rich, you probably think about rolling out in your new Maserati or turning a guest room into a second closet, OR even the fact that you could literally roll around in dollar bills- $100 DOLLAR BILLS. While this is all fine and good and sufficiently over-the-top, what I want the most is an assistant. (Let's face it, you're usually making bank if you have an assistant.) Now, why do I need an assistant? Why do I want one? My reasons shall be revealed.    (Speaking of Maserati,  that's part of the title of one of my sister's songs. Check it out.) https://soundcloud.com/alyce-marie/maserati-body-alyce-marie-ft  1. I'm bad with breakfast. I like eating, I really do. But during the school year, I rarely eat breakfast...or lunch. At night, I'm too tired to prepare a lunch. In the morning, I usually wake up 15 minutes before I leave for school/seminary, so...still no time. I just want an assistant to