Skip to main content

Channeling Charleston: Day #2- Dreaming in Downtown

So I said I would write two posts yesterday, but I lied. So THIS post is about yesterday.

The first major thing I did yesterday was a yoga class with my sister and her boyfriend. Because I don't ride a bike, I was to walk from ghetto downtown to the actual downtown, a solid 30-minute walk. Up until this point I had only seen the upper part of King St., a major street in Charleston. (If you never go to King St. while in Charleston, you kind of suck at life. Its practically impossible to miss it.) Due to the slightly rainy and humid disposition of my first day, this was King. Street: 

It's A'ight.
BUT THEN.....BUT THEN (building suspense), King St. underwent a  serious transformation ...and for the better! Voila.!


So many restaurants and shopping places! Unfortunately, I thought I was going to be late for my yoga class, so I didn't bother taking pictures of King St. YET.  SO, We went to Dell'z Deli. DELL'Z DELI. You can literally ask anyone in Charleston about this dive and they will all respond with "I love it." The woman who owns it has a philosophy of healthy and delicious food. The idea around the food is to stuff as many good thing as possible into one wrap (with yummy sauces and dressings like SRIRACHA.) 


This place is TINY. Its maximum occupancy is probably 5 people. Small, but MIGHTY. 

EVERYONE WILL KNOW I WAS THERE.
That pizza looking thing is a tortilla FILLED with rice and covered in EVERYTHING. 


I actually think they mixed up my order, but it was still delicious anyways.


After lunch, I went BACK to downtown to go to Waterfront Park.If you find yourself walking a lot and getting tired and hot, invest in a trolley map and ride it for free, At Waterfront Park, I played my ukulele. I made ONE DOLLAR. I'm so 3008, you so 2000 and LATE. Seriously though, that's pretty good for only knowing three full songs. So yeah, I am going to keep playing my uke in public and make bank.

YES, that is a pineapple fountain. 


Waterfront Park, Again.

After Waterfront, I decided to walk home. People think walking around a city alone is really scary, but it isn't. People politely mind their own business, and as long as you have a map or smartphone, you can always figure out where you are. But instead of choosing a singular, direct route, I just kind of meandered. Kind of like the homeles people do. And I found myself in the French Quarter. HOLY COW, this place is FREAKING AMAHZING. 

Pretty sure a Disney Princess lived here.  
Even their alleyways are nice!

Vintage?

French Quarter again, in an array of color. 

Within the French Quarter , I found myself in Church St., where I melted even more. Church St., as you can guess, is a lot of churches. Now, as religious as I am, I didn't think I would find them that interesting....BUT THEY WERE. WHY AM I STILL SURPRISED TO FIND AWESOME THINGS IN CHARLESTON?

P.S. My pictures don't even begin to express their beauty. If you want the full effect, you gosta be here.
ANAZA VON (Another one; I probably shouldn't phrase things like this on my blog)


I'm pretty sure there was a bright pink one too, but maybe I'm confusing it with one of the other fifty pink buildings here. So yeah, my second day was jam-packed with stuff and I got a little deeper into Charleston. What tomorrow beholds? Who knows? Actually I know, because tomorrow was yesterday.....I really need to catch up. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage, Tornadoes, Chocolate, and Other Buzzwords

I’m surprised Child Protective Services hasn’t taken custody of my blog yet, given how much I neglect it. But you know what they say, absent parents make for interesting adults. (Wow, that was kind of dark.) Let’s lighten things up. I got married last month! Some of you already know this, but to others, this is breaking news. I think it’s because Facebook didn’t say I was married until a few days ago. And if it’s not on Facebook, it never happened. Existential social media discussions aside, this post is a comprehensive update of my life today. You’ll get the inside scoop on my current whereabouts, my favorite podcasts, desired pastimes–everything you need to know to hack my passwords. I know, I know, that’s what journals are for. But most days I can barely read my own handwriting. And if I want my post-cursive posterity to know me in this Year of the Dog, I must leave an online record. GRANESSABAMA Granessabama is the name of this new chapter in my life and pot...

Single's Awareness Day

I just couldn't resist using this picture.  Wasn't Single's Awareness Day celebrated yesterday? Well, technically yes. But, according to Wikipedia, SAD is often celebrated on 13th or 15th as well. I think it is best to celebrate it on a Friday because this day most clearly exposes my singularity...you know, because I'm at home. Alone. Writing a blog. Eating chocolate. Alone. But, my friends, today is a holiday! Let it not go unnoticed because there are many perks to being single. By the end of reading this post, you will throw away your self-pity and relish in your fantastic life and make all your coupled friends feel jealous. 1. He's attractive. And so is he. HIM, too. Because I am single, I can think anyone is attractive and tell the whole world if I want to. If I had a boyfriend, I won't be able to divulge my celebrity crushes without making him feel uncomfortable, jealous, and angry. Let's face it; I don't want to make him feel bad because ...

My Name is Anessa, I Have a Blog, and I'm Mormon

Last weekend, I was sick. So in between staring at Facebook, doing homework, blowing my nose, and crying during Titanic , I watched A LOT of "I'm a Mormon" videos. (Have no idea what I'm talking about? Scroll to the bottom of the page.) Most of you know that I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, also known as the the Mormon Church. If you didn't, well...I am. Ta-dah! Now, it seems that some people get jittery when the subject of religion comes up. RELAX. I'm not really going to focus on religion in this post, nor will I try to convert you or condemn you. So, relax.  ANYWAYS.  Like all YouTube videos, the "I'm a Mormon" videos receive a plethora of rude, inconsiderate comments. I think many of these comments, though, come from people who don't fully understand the videos and their purpose. Thus, I want to talk about these videos, why they exist, and why I love them.  1. These videos are not trying to...