Skip to main content

Channeling Charleston Day #6: Southern Sabbath


Today, I went to an LDS YSA church in Charleston. WOAH. Some of you probably didn't get any of that. It is basically a Mormon church designed for young single adults. (There are Mormons in the South; I know, I'm shocked, too.)  Actually, this church was in North Charleston, about a twenty-minute drive. It took me about eight phone calls before I finally found a ride. But hey, you have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet.

Why am I talking about church? I'm getting there, be patient. Attending church also gives you insight into that fact that no one in Charleston is actually from Charleston. I met someone from Montana, Utah, and Georgia. Charleston is kind of a hodgepodge of people. So, if you do visit Charleston, and you don't hear that many Southern accents, it's normal.

So, yeah, I really didn't do that much today except for go to Church. But I looked at my phone and I have realized that I have taken about 300 photos while in Charleston, 10% of which I have actually shared with you. So I will show you more.


I went into the ENORMOUS post office one day. Yeah, this is the interior. Why aren't there post offices like this in Valley City? (Oh yeah, because Valley City is lame.) Speaking of Valley City, I told someone I was from there a few weeks ago, and they were like "Oh, I love Valley City. It's a nice town." Really, though, I don't think it can be really called a town since the primary part of it is probably a quarter-mile long. It's kind of a joke. But, anyways, Charleston. 


This is a sign outside of a country club. I found it quite humorous. 


I think this is the French Quarter again. Probably the one thing the French are good for is their influence in Charleston. 


ESKOO ME, CAN I TALK TO YOU FO A MINUTE? Yeah, I just wanted to let you know that the front of yo house is RIDICALOUS. Seriously, though, All of these houses were awesome. At one point I was tempted to knock on a door, ANY door, and say "hey, could I possibly fill up my water bottle here?" I'm sure the interiors are twice as awesome. 


They are so rich that they can make up addresses. I saw a lot of half addresses in Charleston, but I have yet to see a 9 3/4. 

I want to talk about a car. Now, I know this is not a BMW, but there were Beamers EVERYWHERE. If you don't see a BMW on one block, you're bound to see two on the next block. And that's a promise.


This is Battery Park, located at the farthest southern point of the peninsula. I liked Waterfront Park better, but this is another Charleston favorite. You can also park for free at the Battery. 

Today I celebrated the Sabbath in my blog. I just kind of reflected upon the week. Mainly because I'm lazy. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage, Tornadoes, Chocolate, and Other Buzzwords

I’m surprised Child Protective Services hasn’t taken custody of my blog yet, given how much I neglect it. But you know what they say, absent parents make for interesting adults. (Wow, that was kind of dark.) Let’s lighten things up. I got married last month! Some of you already know this, but to others, this is breaking news. I think it’s because Facebook didn’t say I was married until a few days ago. And if it’s not on Facebook, it never happened. Existential social media discussions aside, this post is a comprehensive update of my life today. You’ll get the inside scoop on my current whereabouts, my favorite podcasts, desired pastimes–everything you need to know to hack my passwords. I know, I know, that’s what journals are for. But most days I can barely read my own handwriting. And if I want my post-cursive posterity to know me in this Year of the Dog, I must leave an online record. GRANESSABAMA Granessabama is the name of this new chapter in my life and pot

How To Have a Better Spring Break Than Mine

I was looking forward to spring break. Unfortunately, my week-long break was sub-par, comparable to George Bush's phonetic skills or Lindsay Lohan's acting career- not TERRIBLE, but not very good either. And who's fault is that? Mine! (I am pointing to myself.) It was a COMPLETE manifestation of my senioritis . And maybe your break wasn't very good either. Thus, I will give you some tips about how to better enjoy your future spring breaks.  1. Make a Plan. An entire week gives you a TON of time, so don't let it hit you without setting some goals. I say you set three types of goals: academic, social, and personal.                 ACADEMIC: You might have a project due soon; you don't have to finish it over spring break, but you can start researching. Maybe you can finish reading a book or apply for a scholarship.                 SOCIAL: take advantage of this free time and hang out with your friends. You now have entire days rather than just a few ho

Help Wanted

When you think about what it would like to be rich, REALLY rich, you probably think about rolling out in your new Maserati or turning a guest room into a second closet, OR even the fact that you could literally roll around in dollar bills- $100 DOLLAR BILLS. While this is all fine and good and sufficiently over-the-top, what I want the most is an assistant. (Let's face it, you're usually making bank if you have an assistant.) Now, why do I need an assistant? Why do I want one? My reasons shall be revealed.    (Speaking of Maserati,  that's part of the title of one of my sister's songs. Check it out.) https://soundcloud.com/alyce-marie/maserati-body-alyce-marie-ft  1. I'm bad with breakfast. I like eating, I really do. But during the school year, I rarely eat breakfast...or lunch. At night, I'm too tired to prepare a lunch. In the morning, I usually wake up 15 minutes before I leave for school/seminary, so...still no time. I just want an assistant to